[Sussex] Asterisk Hardware

Adam J Purcell adamjpurcell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 00:03:32 UTC 2005

Hi all!

I believe one or two of you have messed about with Asterisk?  I was
wondering if anyone can recommend some relatively inexpensive hardware
just to play about with?

In particular I'm after something with (if I've got my terminology
right) both an FXO and an FXS interface, i.e. so I can connect the
Asterisk machine to my normal Telewest POTS line and also to my DECT
phone basestation.

Initially I found a Digium X100P (actually a clone) but gather that
has some nasty and irrevocable echo due to impedence mismatches
between the UK phone system and this card.  That would be a shame
given how cheap (£20) they are!  Does anyone know it this is true in
reality?

The other option I was looking at was a much heftier outlay (probably
about £160 with VAT and shipping) in the form of a Digium TDM400P
(TDM11B).  I have little doubt this will work from what I hear but
it's quite an outlay for a little project over Christmas!  I expect
I'll keep Asterisk going 'in live' afterwards but it would be more
comforting to know I can walk away from it without too large a dent in
the wallet!

Are there any other options I've missed?  Other than going completely
software, that is - which just doesn't seem the same!

Thanks,
Adam