[Sussex] ubuntu network problem [SOLVED]

Tom Hinkley tomhinkley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:23:51 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers wrote:

>Hi Tom
>
>On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:59:43 +0000
>Tom Hinkley <tomhinkley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Nov 29 12:29:57 localhost kernel: [4294677.850000] PCI: Unable to
>>reserve I/O region #1:100 at de00 for device 0000:00:09.0
>>

>I wonder if there's any mileage in passing some kernel parameters
>here... did you try to tweaks that Nik suggested?  I seem to remember
>that PCI handling has been changing in the kernel and it may be that
>you're falling foul of that.  There is a kernel option to enable the
>old PCI routing scheme I believe, but I can't remember what it is off
>hand...  Anyone?  I'll see if I can dig it up.
>
>Cheers

Thanks once again to everyone whos helped me here. Here is the solution

The motherboard in this machine is a Gigabyte 7IXE4, and basically it
required a BIOS upgrade. After finding that extra piece of info in the
system log (PCI: Unable to reserve I/O region #1:100 at de00 for device
0000:00:09.0 ), some googling showed somone that had a similar problem
with their soundcard. Upgrading the BIOS solved there problem, and Hey
presto it worked for me.

/Tom