[Sussex] Odd kernel freeze - diagnostics?

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue Oct 4 10:36:23 UTC 2005

Hi folks

Hopefully someone can give me some tips here.  I use ubuntu on my
laptop and there have recently been a few kernel upgrades in the ubuntu
repositories which I have applied to the machine.  However since a
couple of weeks ago the laptop has been occasionally (about once
a day) freezing up completely.  It becomes completely unresponsive, both
to keyboard / mouse input and network input (ie: it no longer responds
to pings). However there is no log output anywhere to diagnose the
problem with. Nothing appears in any of the log files relating to a
panic or crash of any sort.  The kernel in the base ubuntu hoary
installation (ie: before updates) worked fine as far as I remember.

I've downloaded and installed the stable kernel (2.6.13.2) from
kernel.org and am running that to see if it makes a difference, which
would, at least, indicate that its the ubuntised kernel thats the
problem.  The stock kernel is missing a couple of hardware drivers that
I need but that's no big squeal - I can add them if it solves the
problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can trap some debugging
info on this to try to diagnose where the problem lies, or at least get
some output on what's happening when the crash occurs?

I'm not used to this instability with a debian system and currently
can't take the mickey out of the Mac OSX users here when they have to
reboot after a system freeze!!??!!  :-(

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ronan