[Sussex] A SLUG Podcast - Another Way to Promote the Club

Fionn Turnbull fionn at arunet.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 10:39:46 UTC 2005

>The editing looks to be the most difficult.  I've found two apps
>that appear to do the job.  Kino which is simple, and Cinerrela.
>Cinerrela appears to be the industrial strength app, but the site
>I read suggested that 64-bit computing was needed.  If you're
>doing a lot of effects with it then a 64-bit computer would be
>an advantage.  Does anyone have a 64-bit computer and would like
>the job of editing?

There is a fork of Cinelerra, namely Cinelerra-cvs, for which packages
are available at
cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.html, specifically for Suse,
Slackware, Fedora, oh,
and Debian/Ubuntu.

My experience with Gentoo is that Virtual Heroine's Cinelerra (the
original, and on its website there are both source,
and 64-bit binaries) introduces too much instability, and is considered
unworkable.  Cinelerra-cvs, while not
deemed sufficiently stable for general release, due its use of the
Theora libray, is available as source code for
emerging.  This has been compiled and is currently running in a virtual
machine hosted by an OS of ill repute,
but that's not relevant.  The next step is to install it on a physical
drive and see if the current hardware will be
sufficient.  It really doesn't matter if it's a bit slow compared to a
64-bit binary.  After all, thinking time is
much more important.

Fionn