[Sussex] 2 monitors, one machine

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 09:09:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 20:57 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:

> So assuming whatever driver supports simultaneous monitors (Dualview
> for
> example on XP, Xinerama (I believe) on Linux) I need a cable / adaptor
> connect an S video to a standard VGA (because the only spare 19"
> monitor I
> have only supports 15 pin VGA).

Rob,

Rather depends on the card. Most of the "S-Video out" cards only support
TV resolution - 625 vertical lines of which 576 are visible and the rest
reserved for data - teletext.

The bad news is that this interpolation is likely to be done BEFORE you
feed to the S-Video hardware, so you'll have the bizarre situation of a
VGA re-sampled to PAL for the output, then fed to VGA for the display.
I'd be VERY surprised if it looks any better on a VGA monitor as it did
on a telly, and possibly worse!

The other thing to be wary of is that the card may only support the SAME
picture on both outputs, rather than different areas of screen.

Regards,

Mark