[Sussex] 2 monitors, one machine

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Oct 6 16:51:20 UTC 2005

** Rob Malpass <rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk> [2005-10-06 17:33]:

** end quote [Rob Malpass]

You can get adaptors to plug a standard VGA monitor into a DVI port. I
can't quote off hand where from though (apart from the fact that the Mac
Mini comes with one - which is of no practical use unless you know
someone with one who doesn't need it!).

I'm interested in a cheap twin monitor card myself. At the moment I have
a Windows box with a 64M AGP Nvidia and a 4M PCI Matrox Millenium using
twin screens and a Linux box with another 64M AGP Nvidia and a 8M PCI
Matrox Millenium II waiting to have twin screens configured (and a
second one connected). Desk space is my issue and I keep looking at the
Belkin KVM that supports USB keyboard and mouse with twin screens. The
trouble is that with cables it will set you back close to £200!

Currently the screen in front of me is my 17" Linux one, to the left
there is a 17" Windows one and to the right a 15" second Windows one.
The on on the right is in the middle of a racking shelf. This isn't too
good either on space usage or comfortable viewing!!

I need a new graphics card though as my family Windows box looks as
though it will have to loose its Matrox Marvel (32M iirc) and get one of
the 64M Nvidia ones. Sadly the newly built machine has decided that it
doesn't like the card (although I'm sure this is the motherboard it was
originally with). This is doubly sad as I now have to sort out another
machine to put it in so I can use the analogue video capture to grab
some old Hi8 film.

Anyway, got on to a ramble there so I'll stop :)

Oh, last thing Rob, your name seems very familiar for some reason. Were
you on HantsLUG at some point? Perhaps another Linux related list I've
been on?

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com