[Sussex] A SLUG Podcast - Another Way to Promote the Club

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Oct 9 12:55:11 UTC 2005

Mark

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 12:26:24PM +0100, Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 12:15 +0100, Steve Dobson wrote:
> >   No Derivative Works: I think we want this, as we don't want people
> >     changing what we say.
>
> Not sure about this. If the intention is to spread knowledge of
> OpenSource products, there strikes me as a certain lack of consistency
> in saying "you can change that sourcecode, but you can't modify our
> training material". Given the nature of the material, it would be almost
> impossible to prove derivation one way or the other in any case, so I'm
> tempted to say "you can create your own version of this if you want."

That is the argument for not having "No Derivative Works".  But at the
end of the day any programme we produce is more our ideas and thoughts
and therefore differs from source code which compile to a tool.

We are going to have some people before the camera.  We are going to be
presenting our way of doing things.  I would not want someone taking
what we said and changing it to say something different, but still make
it sound as if I said it.

Changing a tool I built to do something different is not the same as
changing something I said.  That is why I lean more placing "No
Derivative Works" restriction than not.

But I am by no means sure of that position and am more than happy to
be convinced to change.

MAC user's dynamic debugging list evaluator?  Never heard of that.