[Sussex] Re:Problems with installing Debian 3.1

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Wed Oct 19 20:21:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:38:54PM +0100, John Gregory wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. I tried changing the XF86Config-4 file
> but still no success so I had a look at the log file which has the
> following line
>
>             (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No
> such file or directory.

I think the assumption here was that you had loaded your kernel modules.
You haven't told us what version you're using but something along the
lines of the following for 2.6.X would do:

``
modprobe usbmouse
modprobe hid
modprobe mousedev
''

... wouldn't go a miss.   Note that if you're running a 2.4.X, then the
"usbmouse" module is hyphernated:  "usb-mouse".

> If I try remaking the device files do I need a major number and where
> Ido find it?

In addition to the above, assuming it works, then you can add the module
names to /etc/modules.   This ensures persistency across reboots and
shutdowns.  You might also, before you panic have to run:

/etc/init.d/hotplug restart

and/or unplug/replug the mouse in.   Some USB mice are iffy like that.
By and large though, modprobe'ing your drivers, and starting X11 again
solves things.

-- Thomas Adam

--
If you shoot the head, you kill the ghoul.