[Sussex] Example video from povray

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Oct 20 12:37:36 UTC 2005

Hi all

I've been playing around with povray/imagemagick/mplayer to see how easy it
is to generate my own ray traced film, and it isn't that hard (if you can
drive povray, which luckly I can).  I've  made a little Blake's 7 example
film (around 5secs long) and you can see for yourself.

To get the file:
   wget --continue http://pugwash.uthink.co.uk/video/example.mpg

And to play it back:
   mplayer -loop 0 -fps 25 example.mpg

The frame rate encoded with imagemagick's convert appears to be hard coded to
30 fps - which is not the UK standard, which is why the "-fps 25" is needed
by mplayer - that is the frame rate is was generated for.  At this stage I'm
not worried about the frame rate being wrong -- mencode is much more powerful
but I haven't configured all the codecs for it yet.

Anyway, what do you all think?  I was amazed how easy this task was.  If
a number of you would like this as a Moot talk then shout too and I'll
put it together.

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #19: If you're interested in building packages from source, you
should consider installing the apt-src package.