[Sussex] Example video from povray

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Oct 20 15:47:07 UTC 2005

Hi John

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 03:59:09PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> Ha ha! well done Steve.

Glad you liked it.  :-)

> A slightly "picky" point i.e. not knowing how much time/effort/sweat,
> went into that, it seemed that the space crafts "zoomed" toward me at
> very high speed. I suppose it's a trick of animation to make them "seem"
> slower.

Well it is meant to be a chase so one would expect to travel fast.  It
also allowed me to see how "bad" the animation was as there is no motion
blur.

> Also, I wouldn't have any idea of how complicated the actual animation
> is, but it seemed that the file size (my F/F download manager showed it
> as 2.5 megs) seemed "quite" large. Given that it runs for about 5
> seconds. Is that an "animation" thing or the way that you've "built" it
> (I think I mean about the amount of digital info that it's taken to get
> the image(s) of that quality)??

The format is MPEG-2, which is the same used on DVDs.  Not very good
compression.  When I've figured out how to use mencode I can use a
better codec that compresses better.

I'm working on a longer animation.  As I currently have a fast(er) computer
on loan I can render almost quickly (~5 secs per frame).  It has shown up
that the stars flicker if you move the camera.  Need to find a better method
of doing the star field.  I've upload the file of the movie so far:

  wget http://pugwash.uthink.co.uk/video/dsv-flyby.mpg

You should like this one a bit more.  The Liberator is moving much slower.
But be warned.  This file is 8MBytes small.  Just in case you want it the
md5sum of the file is: 98e45cc6eeeb4ae7ee8c5f874d956488.

Take what you can use and let the rest go by.
		-- Ken Kesey