[Sussex] Example video from povray

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Oct 21 00:27:11 UTC 2005

Fay

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 12:55:27AM +0100, Frances Fleming wrote:
> Steve, thanks, I followed your instructions, as below:
<snip>
> jerry:~# apt-get install w32codecs mplayer-`arch` mplayer-doc
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package mplayer-i686
>
> What do I do now please? I really would like MPlayer.

Sorry I missed the fact that "arch", which returns the architecture of the
system, prefixes an "i".  So your output tells me that that system is
an Intel 686 based.

If you were you use "apt-cache search mplayer" you will see that there
are a number of mplayer packages for the different x86 type systems.

mplayer-386 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
mplayer-586 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
mplayer-686 - transitional dummy package which can be safely removed
mplayer-k6 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
mplayer-k7 - transitional dummy package which can be safely removed

I have checked and I have mplayer-586 on my laptop and mplayer-686 on
another.  Both appear to work.  I suggest that you use the following
command:

  # apt-get install w32codecs mplayer-586 mplayer-doc

> However, I was able to watch your povray videos using vlc, which was good.
> And I've found I _can_ watch BBC news videos after all - I just wasn't
> giving them a chance to download when I complained before ;)

The new version of the flyby is now available (bba799b092727d15ad8650ecef943088).

  http://pugwash.uthink.co.uk/video/dsv-flyby.mpg

I have found and used a better star field.  This one allows nebular gasses which
I think help.  The new system creates star objects and they render much better.
The old star field was an image projected onto the inside of a very, very large
sphere.

Hope you enjoy.

Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.
		-- John Kenneth Galbraith