[Sussex] ps options

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Oct 22 21:19:52 UTC 2005

Frances

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:20:05PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:08:16PM +0100, Frances Fleming wrote:
> > Googled for the term "unscalable font" and found an article at
> > http://www.promptweb.co.uk/fonts/.
> >
> > Excerpt: You can tell you have a stand-alone font server running by
> > typing ps ax | grep xfs.
>
> First thing to always remember is this:  You don't need xfs running.
>
> You can, for the most part ignore what you've read.  What I tend to do,
> and have done in the past is rearrange the Font lines in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 0r /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  The order is important --
> since the order the font lines are listed is the order they're searched
> in.
>
> So, here's what your file probably looks like:
>
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
>
> That's usually fine.  The problem is that your fonts will probably look
> terrible.  So I rearrange them to look like this:
>
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
>         FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
>
> ... notice that I put the unscaled fonts at the end, and also I put the
> 75dpi font before the 100dpi font --- this is to match the -dpi option
> that the Xserver runs with when it starts off [1].  I then, for
> completeness sake, run:
>
> fc-cache -f
>
> ... as root, to regenerate the font cache files.
>
> -- Thomas Adam
>
>  [1] You can always use "xset +fp" to see these lines, and hence what
>  the Xserver is using.

For debian uses it is worth checking if there are more font packages
available.  To see what font packages are available to you.  The
command:
  $ apt-cache search font | grep -i font | less

whill show all the packages that have the word "font" (case ignored) in
the package name or the one line description.  Not all these packages
will be for the XServer, but you may find some that you would like that
haven't been installed.

To see what packages are installed:
  $ dpkg -l | grep font | less

scribline, n.:
	The blank area on the back of credit cards where one's signature goes.
		-- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends