[Sussex] Heres a Question. not linux but open source related.

nik butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Tue Oct 25 09:50:13 UTC 2005

> 2. Updates are not done via the telephone line - they're sent out over
> the air on a rotating 15-minute basis. If Sky release a new software

According to sky technical the Dialback process is part of the upgrade
possibly to confirm that the box is on some new version of the software.

> Try a forced software upgrade - if they've confirmed it's available, it
> may already be on the air. Depends if they've set the 'force upgrade'
> flag on the firmware or not. Sometimes, they push beta code to the air
> before they tell the boxes to upgrade.
Actually im loathe to do anything without Sky Technical Telling me to do
this explicitly. Since i could do without them saying its all my fault.

>> 1 ] Is any one familiar with precedent or case ( in the UK ) where a
>> Company has been found guilty of releasing software or an update which
>> damages a consumer components functionality.
>
> IANAL (Geoff? :) ), but I would imagine that Sky write their terms and
> conditions such that 'any extra features other than being able to watch
> TV are purely coincidental and do not bear any resembelence to any
> useful features, either living or dead'.
I wonder how that then affects you statutory rights to buy a product and
have it fit for purpose ?

>> 2] Should Sky realease the code ?
>
> Would people know what to do with it if they did?
no ... but if that statement is true why bother with any open source ?