[Sussex] Heres a Question. not linux but open source related.

nik butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Tue Oct 25 11:04:44 UTC 2005

> If you've signed a contract detailing exactly what is and isn't a
> function of the product, then I don't think it matters - as long as the
> TV section is working, it is 'fit for purpose'.
Except. They advertise a service and features as part of the package. So
its back to AdvertisingStandards. IIRC Ive not signed anything with SKY
they just took a phone order for the SKY+ Upgrade.

> I'm guessing if Sky got taken to court though, they'd lose - if it
> weren't for the fact they Mr. Murdock has more money than [probably] any
> of us on this list ;)
Actually im trying to get Sky to publish a service status page , similar
to ISP pages in order to help inform end users. Tnen im trying to get
them to refund the additional £10 i pay a month for SKY+ which is sold
as Pause, Rewind and Record.

>>> Would people know what to do with it if they did?
>>
>> no ... but if that statement is true why bother with any open source ?
>
> Good answer :)
>
> I'm not sure of the hardware specs of any of the Sky boxes, but I would
> imagine people have looked at hacking them (esp. the Sky+ boxes) and
> found it too difficult. Why not just get a TiVo? :)
Hmmm i think your thinking of reasons for releasing the code which are
different to my reasons for releasing the code. Im not suggesting they
release hardware documentation . just the raw code. dont LinkSys and
Netgear do this and yet they dont fully document howto build their
routers and base stations ?

Likewise Sky( or their subsiduary ) could release the code. Theres a
fair chance a developer might be interested enough to inspect it and
spot a potential issue ?

The current code obscurity is reducing the chance of someone locating
and fixing an issue is it not ?

Nik Butler