[Sussex] DVD drive and Kaffine question

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Tue Oct 25 17:00:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 05:52:06PM +0100, John Thompson wrote:
> _First problem:-_ If I open "My Computer" I only see the DVD drive,

If you open what?  Is this something in GNOME, acting like Windows (this
would not surprise me in anyway)?

> not the CD. Suse "knows" the CD is there 'cause I can see it in
> /media/.

You see it only in /media because its mountpoint appears there.  All you
really need to do to fix this is to copy the relevant line from the
/etc/fstab file for your CDRW drive, and just change the /dev/foo part
of that line to reflect it's a DVD drive you have (see below).

> A bit worried that the DVD is listed as "/dev/cd/" should it be
> "/dev/dvd" ? Also that CD is now not accessable.

/dev/dvd is a symlink that you setup to point to your DVD drive.  It's
of convenience only, as some apps check for it.

As for obtaining the correct device, look at the output from:

dmesg | less

... you could always try:

dmesg | grep -i dvd

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Try not to want people to like you too much, you'll just need more and
more flatteries to recharge your batteries." -- Jeffrey Lewis.