[Sussex] DVD drive and Kaffine question

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Wed Oct 26 11:38:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:30:32AM +0100, John Thompson wrote:
> KDE - Suse. Yes, it is worringly "Windows"! (It's for beginners like
> me, I expect)

Right -- it was a genuine question.  I thought perhaps it was GNOME,
since that's the only DE where I have seen "Computer" (or similar).

> (I'm dual-booting that's why I've got all these windows partitions).
> Note: no mention of DVD??

Indeed, and that does not surprise me.

> If I do "dmesg | grep -i dvd" I get:-
>
> linux:~ # dmesg | grep -i dvd hdc:
> MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8586, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive hdd: SONY CD-RW CRX225E,
> ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive hdc: ATAPI 123X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)
> linux:~ #

There's your clue.  Here's what you want for your DVD entry:

/dev/hdc /media/dvd iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0  0

... note that the mount-point "/media/dvd" should exist, so you might
want to:

mkdir /media/dvd

> Not sure what to change in /etc/fstab - dont want to bugger things up
> any more! Can you tell me exactly what to change?

See above.  To answer your other question about the /dev/dvd symlink,
you can do:

ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd

... some applications (Mplayer, Xine, etc) will check this.

So having entered that into the /etc/fstab file, try it out:

mount /media/dvd

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Try not to want people to like you too much, you'll just need more and
more flatteries to recharge your batteries." -- Jeffrey Lewis.