[Sussex] Heres a Question. not linux but open source related.

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Oct 26 16:28:12 UTC 2005

** Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org> [2005-10-26 16:49]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
>
> > His view was that NTL boxes were less reliable,
> > but had the advantage that switching off for 10 minutes fixed the most
> > common faults temporarily (sounds like an OS I know!).
>
> That was certainly true for the Pace boxes. However the newer Samsung boxes
> are at least an order of magnitude more reliable, as well as being able to
> do more than 700K broadband which was the limit on the Pace boxes.
** end quote [Colin Tuckley]

Do you get a choice, or are Pace boxes no more? I suspect I need to
revisit the issue (been putting that off for a while now). One limiting
factor for me is that I can't take advantage of the cost benefits of
phone and internet connections. I am quite happy with the BT phone and
my ADSL connection relies on it. From the information I have so far
(again possibly out of date) you can't get a fixed IP address from NTL
without going for expensive business based options (which I may be
forced to do since I use the connection for business as well). I'll have
to do some more reading though as I'm considering getting a Freeview box
as backup (its a one off payment after all, although the cable clutter
gets even more nasty - DVD recorder, DVD player, VCR, SKY box and then a
Freeview - SCART cable hell!!!). You never know, maybe I'll find the
time to sort out a MythTV or similar setup - ook, flying pig! ;)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com