[Sussex] Heres a Question. not linux but open source related.

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Oct 26 22:00:07 UTC 2005

** Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org> [2005-10-26 21:40]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> > Do you get a choice, or are Pace boxes no more?
>
> I got mine by saying I was thinking of upgrading to the 2Mb service and that
> the current Pace box couldn't do that and was giving me problems anyway.

Aha, tactics ;)

> > From the information I have so far
> > (again possibly out of date) you can't get a fixed IP address from NTL
>
> It's not officially fixed IP, however mine has only changed twice in more
> than 4 years (Both times when NTL had major server blow-ups). I use DynDNS
> and a client Daemon to keep things pointed in the right direction. In fact
> my IP stayed the same even when they swapped me to the Samsung box.

I have a customer running on NTL and a Linux server sitting on that
connection running 24x7 bar the odd power down on seemingly random
weekends. Admittedly if the machine maintains a connection you shouldn't
be allocated a new IP, but this box manages to swap roughly every month.
It usually happens when they decide to power down over the weekend, but
also tends to happen when NTL decide to chop their service through non
payment (which is odd since it is automatic) or because NTL have decided
that they have cancelled the service (whilst still taking payment, which
is fair since service hasn't been cancelled!).

DynDNS should work OK, but I'm not entirely happy using that service.
I'd have to configure my MX records to point to the DynDNS record and
ensure it updated frequently enough - not an ideal setup, in fact if
memory serves an MX should reference and IP direct not a CNAME. That
said I've not looked at DynDNS in a long while - largely due to always
having had a static IP since I've had an internet connection :)

** end quote [Colin Tuckley]

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com