[Sussex] Following on From last nights meeting.

nik butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Fri Oct 28 10:47:28 UTC 2005

The SLugs have always been interested in providing a Day where we can
provide opportunity to talk about Linux and demonstrate the features as
well as allow people to have linux installed on their computers.

I proposed last night that the Slugs make a regular event of hosting a
small computer fair whose agenda is the promotion of Linux and the
Sussex linux user group.

We would provide the opportunity for a number of speakers to present for
1 hour their preffered ( open source / linux ) topic in two seperate
tracks through out the day . This should allow for 3 hours of talks with
   2 seperate streams so 6 Presentations.

The main hall will be seperated into a few ( we need to limit this to
not more than 6 ) vendors stalls. A few distribution stands ( Debian,
Ubuntu, Knoppix and Redhat ) and the centre of the hall to open to allow
people to sit, chat , demonstrate software and carry out installs.

We have a limit of 100 people in the halls.

Selling tickets at £4 for the day with additional £1.00 for access to
presentations. We would offer complimentary CDs on entry.

We would need to sell 40 tickets to make £200 to cover the hall hire. id
like to ask the vendors to contribute a tenner since that goes a long
way to the costs for the day.

Id like the venue to generate revenue to help pay for the hall in the
following year.

The basic concern is about provision of Power and Access for

Ive booked the hall from 11 till 5.

Allowing an opening time of 12.00 and a closing time of 4:00 with
presentations runnning 12:30 , 1:30  and 2:30 .

Im looking for PA equipment and projectors. Plus im hoping to run a
couple of competitions if I can convince a company to provide the Goodies.

I'll be writting to a few Podcast veterans to see if theres any
broadcast material we can use on the day and ill be asking Lugradio for
a advert later.

 From experience in this group i have learnt that to take an idea in to
action requires setting a deadline and providing direction and
motivation to meet that commitment. I think this could be a fun day and
a fruitful one for Slugs and the Linux .

Nik