[Sussex] OpenBIOS (was: Free Opera registrations)

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Thu Sep 1 23:09:54 UTC 2005

Steve/Geoff,

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:33:34 +0100
Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

> Geoff
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 03:08:08PM +0100, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> > Steve Dobson wrote:
> >  > So when are you going to come to a moot and present use with your
> > >successful installation of OpenBIOS[1]?
> > >[1] http://www.openbios.info/project/
> >
> > Upon fulfilment of two preconditions:
> >
> >   1. I have time to make it to a meet (hopefully next month)
> >   2. I get openBIOS to work.
>
> I know what you mean.  I can't find the time (or the hardware) to
> try it out on.
>
> > I would point out that using non-free BIOS, whilst annoying, is
> > somewhat sadly still essential for most computer users.

OpenBIOS sounds interesting, but I can well understand the nervousness
at flashing the BIOS of a machine in regular use.

To this end I can make an offer: I have an old 200MHz machine
languishing around that still works, but is getting long in the tooth. I
would be happy to have this PC used as a guinea-pig for OpenBIOS. I
would gladly bring it along to a moot if someone fancied demonstrating
what was required to get OpenBIOS onto a PC. Live BIOS flashing, anyone?

The only thing I don't have right now is a spare monitor, so someone
else would have to provide that or some other means of seeing the
display.

Does this sound like a feasible idea?

Gavin.