[Sussex] OpenBIOS

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Fri Sep 2 09:22:59 UTC 2005

Gavin Stevens wrote:
  > OpenBIOS sounds interesting, but I can well understand the nervousness
> at flashing the BIOS of a machine in regular use.

:-)

> To this end I can make an offer: I have an old 200MHz machine
> languishing around that still works, but is getting long in the tooth. I
> would be happy to have this PC used as a guinea-pig for OpenBIOS. I
> would gladly bring it along to a moot if someone fancied demonstrating
> what was required to get OpenBIOS onto a PC. Live BIOS flashing, anyone?
>
> The only thing I don't have right now is a spare monitor, so someone
> else would have to provide that or some other means of seeing the
> display.
>
> Does this sound like a feasible idea?

Feasible, yes, but it would probably require some level of access to the
hardware ahead of time to assure that it was a worthwhile demonstration.

Frankly, I simply don't have the time right now to put anything
together. I still have some presentations on the Linux kernel
implementation that are sitting half finished on my hard drive :-(

For anyone who has used a Sun box I'll point out that OpenBIOS is very
similar to what Sun has - you get a FORTH environment to play with :-)

--
G.J. Teale
Development Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
E gteale at cmedresearch.com  W www.cmedresearch.com