[Sussex] Flash (was BCF Working and Crawley)

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Sep 6 08:31:13 UTC 2005

Colin

We appear to be cross posing :-)

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:16:25AM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Frances Fleming wrote:
>
> > NOTE: Please ask your administrator to remove the xpti.dat from the
> >       components directory of the Mozilla or Netscape browser.
> >

> > Installation complete.
> >

> > Perform another installation? (y/n): n
> >

> > Please log out of this session and log in for the changes to take effect.
> >
> > My question: What is it talking about, with that xpti.dat?
>
> xpti.dat is the Mozilla/Firefox/thunderbird component registry file - it
> keeps a record of what bits are installed/configured/used.
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't get updated automatically :unless: it doesn't
> exist. So by deleting it you are forcing it to be recreated as an uptodate
> version.
>
> To find where it's hidden from your home directory try:
>
> find . -name xpti.dat
>
> There may be several versions, you can delete them all (but make a copy first).

The files it is asked to be deleted are (on a Debian system at least) owned
by root so firefox running under a user account can't regenerate them.

On my own system that I don't have one personally.  So I assume that my
personal one will only be generated if I rename the system ones.

I also note that OOo has them too, so they are not just used by mozilla
code.

You have Egyptian flu: you're going to be a mummy.