[Sussex] Laptop choice

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue Sep 6 13:18:32 UTC 2005

Hi all

Thank you very much to everyone who made suggestions on
laptops.  Much appreciated.  In the end I went for a Dell Inspiron
6000.  I've installed Ubuntu thereon and am now happily typing from
that very machine.  The only niggle I have so far is that the i810 X
driver for the Intel i915Gm doesn't work properly - the screen blanks
when you start X, even though things are happening (I can hear sound
effects, etc, for example when GDM loads in Ubuntu, there's a rather
nice drumming noise!!).  Had to fall back to using X's generic vesa
driver which works fine, but is a little slow for graphic intensive
stuff.

All in all I'm very pleased.  I have the multimedia buttons working
fine, using beep media player (xmms rewrite) and amixer for volume
control.  The only thing that doesn't work is the SD card slot but that
doesn't bother me.

Thanks again for all the suggestions...

Cheers

Ronan