[Sussex] Raid install

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Sep 10 05:00:56 UTC 2005

Dave

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:18:06PM +0100, Dave Chapman wrote:
> Are there any caveats for installing to a raid0 partition.
> I believe that I will need a /boot and swap on a non raid drive.

You are correct.  The /boot partition (where your kernel lives)
needs to be on a non-raid partition as the boot loader (grub or
lilo) that is installed in you MBR one the boot partition is not
raid aware.

I'm not sure about this but I think swap can be on any device.
The problem with running software raid is the the raid device
must be set up before swap is mounted - much easier to make
swap a native disk partition.

> I'm not too bothered if the system crashes if a hard drive
> fails thats why I have not mirrored the drives Just as long
> as my /home survives. So thats on /dev/hdb

Well a hard drive crash may happen to any disk.  If it happens
to your /dev/hdb then you will loss your /home partition anyway.

If you were to mirror and mount /home on the mirrored partition
then in order to lose /home *ALL* disks in the mirror would
have to fail.

> PS
> I will try to make the fair Sunday
> For moral support but I'm working that night

All support is welcome.

Goda's Truism:
	By the time you get to the point where you can make ends meet,
	somebody moves the ends.