[Sussex] CentOS impressions & RPM mysteries

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Mon Sep 12 23:04:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:02:45 +0100
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:

> Pybe wrote:
> > Fedora uses an installer/updater similar to apt called yum this
> > works with RPM if your os has compatible repositories. Which from a
> > quick look CentOS uses
> > http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=8 open a shell
> > and type yum --help very similar to apt. yum install foo, yum
> > update/upgrade etc.
>
> Or you could install APT on the CentOS system. Check out dag's
> repository at http://dag.wieers.com/apt/

Thanks to both of you for your help.

CentOS is my first serious look at a distro using RPM & I have the
luxury of being able to learn it without it being critical - I have
three distros on two PCs (Ubuntu & Debian being the others).

Yum installed by default, I think, but apt could be useful if there is
something I want before I have mastered yum or rpm.

Gavin.