[Sussex] I've got Flash now I want to watch movie clips

G. J. Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Thu Sep 15 09:21:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 22:18 +0100, Trevor Marshall wrote:
> The 'Video' links on the BBC news page need one of Windows Media Player
> or RealPlayer.  I /think/ that you can get mplayer to handle Windows -
> but I don't know how to.  So that leaves RealPlayer, about which some
> people have strong views.  Geoff may wish to comment here.

---- %< ---

:-)

Well OK, mplayer can handle both Realplayer and WMV format.  From a
pragmatic point of view that's a good thing, but the codec's it uses to
do it aren't free software so that's a compromise at best.

Fortunately the BBC is actively working to replace these formats with
free sofware formats of it's own cunning design, so this situation
shouldn't prevail (on this sight at least).

--
G. J. Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
M +44(0)7776 195 211
E gteale at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com

Driven by technology. Guided by experience.