[Sussex] PHPSMTPD - tests anyone?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Sep 15 11:27:11 UTC 2005

Ronan

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 11:12:17AM +0100, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> I've recently been trying to find a PHP class to handle the MTA side of
> an SMTP session in order to build a simple autoresponder. Couldn't find
> one so I've put together one for myself.  I've used it to build a
> simple email server which I've called phpsmtpd which can accept mail
> and stores it in a spool directory on the local filesystem.  It requires
> PHP5 since it uses tcp streams and exceptions. Its intended as a quick
> and easy mail server for use when testing scripts / email clients and (I
> think) speaks enough SMTP to do this.
>
> I'd be obliged if anyone who has a spare five minutes could grab the
> archive and give it a run, maybe fire off some of their email scripts
> at it and let me know what happens.  Particularly I'd be interested to
> see if / how it runs on a windows system, since I don't have access to
> a windows machine with PHP5 on it.  There's a zip and bz2 tarball at
> the url below.
>
> You can get it at
>
> http://www.ronanchilvers.com/notes/phpsmtpd.html

I have to ask why?

I have configured exim4 (or sendmail or procmail, or ...) to just
pipe the incoming email to a php process.  The php process scans
the mail text and then works out what to do.  No need to do all
that silly TCP streams - it would only need to read from standard in.

BTW: Looking at you page I would never use this as it uses SMTP AUTH
but only for PLAIN and LOGIN.  I would *never* use either of these as
the passwords are transmitted in clear text.  CRAM-MD5 (RFC-2195) is
by far the better option.

BOFH excuse #118:

the router thinks its a printer.