[Sussex] I've got Flash now I want to watch movie clips

frances at pugwash.uthink.co.uk frances at pugwash.uthink.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 13:00:28 UTC 2005

On Thu Sep 22 10:02:53 BST 2005, Chris Jones wrote:
> I really seriously don't think you need to pay any attention to that page.
> You download the .bin from real.com, install it, it creates menu entries
> for RealPlayer, then when you run that for the first time it asks a few
> questions and offers to install the browser plugin for you. I've done this
> on fresh Fedora and Ubuntu type installs and it works fine - firefox plays
> embedded real movies, bbc type radio/video content and so on.

I'm very grateful that you responded Chris :) but I need much more detail
at this stage in my learning curve.

This is my problem:

I _did_ download the .bin from real.com
I _did_ install it (I think)
It _didn't_ create menu entries for RealPlayer
I _did_ run it for the first time (from the file manager though)
It _didn't_ ask a few questions
and it _didn't_ offer to install the browser plugin for me

As you've done it on fresh Fedora and Ubuntu type installs and it worked
fine, please could you tell me exactly what I _should_ have done, from the
beginning?

I've been trying to get it working on Debian, but instead I'd like you to
walk me through installing it on Knoppix live CD 3.8, which has perfect
broadband connection. It also has a persistent user storage area, so the
download will be retained.
Then when I'm successful, I'll have another go at installing to Debian.
I'll also write it up as a tutorial :)

Thanks in advance,
Fay