[Sussex] A rant on using different distributions

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 27 11:39:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 11:23 -0400, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> OK,
>
> I've recently installed a variant of Debian (Damn Small Linux) onto my
> laptop. I run Gentoo on my Server.  Out of the two, I have always heard
> it said that Debian (and debian-based distros) had a better package
> management system than Portage, and that they were more straight forward
> to install and use.
>
> I've now re-installed DSL (Damn Small Linux) three times onto this
> laptop because I couldn't get it to install the packages I wanted it to.
>   Now that I've got the distro up and running, I've been playing with
> apt.  so far my impression is this - it's crap.
>
> Here's a little example of how to install in Gentoo vs how to install in
> Debian:
>

> Gentoo:
>
> emerge -s packageName
> emerge packageName
>
> Debian:
>
> apt-cache search packageName
> apt-get install packageName

I've always argued that Gentoo is great apart from the lengthy compile
times. Now there is a binary Gentoo distro - Koroora, and a Gnome GUI
based livecd and installer (admittedly still in beta) as well as the
traditional Gentoo compile-everything-from-scratch approach.

I've learnt a huge amount from installing and running Gentoo, and now it
fits like an old shoe.

I've tried Debian, and the latest Sarge installer is a huge improvement
on previous efforts, but I still spent as much time trying to learn the
ins and outs of Debian as I did Gentoo, so in the end there's no
advantage for me to install Debian.

I'm just finishing off a new install on a new 120Gb HDD in my trusty
Dell notebook. Kde-meta (347 odd packages) took 30 odd hours to compile,
but did so without a single failure. It's a case of start the compile
and leave till done. Despite the large number of USE flags (compile
options to non-Gentoo users) and huge number of packages, there was only
a single compile failure, in Gnome-vfs, and that was easily fixed.

In addition, I've got everything that I want working. Lircd, mplayer,
amarok, timidity, hal, dbus, ivman etc, and it all adds up to a great
distro. Vote Gentoo I say!

Steve W.