[Sussex] A rant on using different distributions

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Sep 27 13:43:56 UTC 2005

Geoff

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 02:33:32PM +0100, G.J. Teale wrote:
> Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> writes:
>
> > You say you installed "Damn Small Linux" and then you compare it to
> > Debian.  Maybe the problems such as lack of dependencies are down to
> > DSL's failings not Debian's.
>
> Possibly, although I've seen these kinds of issues many times on
> Debian itself and on other Debian derived distros.  More specifically
> I think Matthew was taking issue with the rather poor error message
> and the fact that he has to memorise many commands instead of one
> command with many options.

I have seen them only when I have used unstable version of Debian
(where the package depenancies have yet to be fully resolved) or
when I have add third part archives.  Either way you get what you
"pay" for.

Adding third part "Debain" package archieves is like mixing spirts:
some combinations are nice, some are not!

MESSAGE ACKNOWLEDGED -- The Pershing II missiles have been launched.