[Sussex] df - what's going on?

Rob Malpass rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Apr 15 16:02:02 UTC 2006

Hi all

Not sure if this should be described as OT but here goes.

I was running a simple enough little program which produced a lot of output.
[It's effectively a brute force attack on the Radio Times trackword
problem - well it's very wet outside here today so not much else to do!!]

Seeing quite how much output there was, I decided (being a bit short on disk
space on my Sparc) to send the output to the second hdd.   Having let it run
for a while, I did

df -tk

and noticed that there was 0 left and the job had crashed.   No surprise
there.

When I removed the file with rm, I noticed the same df -tk hadn't gone back
to 100%.   A reboot (yak) fixed it, but I had (prior to reboot) hunted
everywhere on that fs and there was nothing anywhere else, I even looked in
/tmp but nothing had gone there.

As I say, it's fixed now courtesy of a reboot - but what happened?   I
suspect for those that know unix better than me, this is a dead
straightforward question, but it's a gap in my knowledge so please bear with
me.

Cheers
Rob