[Sussex] Slightly corruputed disk

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Fri Apr 28 08:02:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, April 27, 2006 14:21, Brendan Whelan said:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to upgrade a disk from Fedora Core 4 to FC5 but I am prevented
> from doing so because of what are probably minor corruptions on the disk.
>
> The disk was cloned using dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=256k
>
> I have tried fsck -y and forcing fsck to run on a reboot but some errors
> remain.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I can clear the bad info?

If you are using ext2 or ext3, you have the option of -c. A single -c will
specify read only non destructive bad block testing. Specifying -c -c will
give you read/write bad block testing.

If you are using reiserfs, you need to run debugreiserfs to build a bad
block file to pass to reiserfsck:

debugreiserfs -B filename /dev/sdb1
reiserfsck -B filename /dev/sdb1

Make sure these partitions are not mounted.

--
John