[Sussex] Slugoppix project

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 5 20:41:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:04:51PM +0100, Steven Dobson wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 14:00 +0100, Vic wrote:
> > Google's first response for "knoppix lvm" returns
> > http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/LVM2 , which works perfectly. The first
> > command there (the modprobe) appears to be nugatory now.
>
> But don't you have to do this _after_ you have installed Knoppix from
> the CD?  It's a lot more work getting it to work by default _from_ the
> CD which is what we are trying to do.

No, the knoppix and ubuntu live CD/DVDs run off a unionfs with a
ramdisk such that you can install new software or remove existing.
The URL above shows how to get LVM working from the knoppix live
environment and I have used it many times to install machines.  In
fact I am doing it right now (but with an ubuntu live cd) to install
debian sarge.

It is rather advanced though for someone not familiar with the
concepts.

Cheers,
Andy