[Sussex] Slugoppix Project Part 2: Web Site

Adam J Purcell adamjpurcell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 15:12:43 UTC 2006

On 8/6/06, Nicholas Butler <nik at reducedhackers.com> wrote:
> knossex ?
>
> hmmm then again maybe not ...
>
> How about
>
> Knoppix - the Sussex Linux User Group Edition.

Do our potential users even care that it is Knoppix?  Do they even
know what Knoppix is?  Perhaps a 'Powered by Knoppix' or 'Based on
Knoppix' tag line rather than make it an integral part of the name.

Outside of the Linux community people aren't used to thinking of
different distributions of OSes - you've got Windows (with some
nebulous version numbers), the Mac and Linux.  What the heck is a
Knoppix?  What's a Red Hat got to do with anything?  What does SuSE
mean? (even most Linux users don't know that, I'm sure!)  What's the
difference between all these Linuxes?  Maybe the whole distributions
thing is best left for their second visit to our stand when we can
bung them an Ubuntu disc if they want to know more?

We don't want to confuse them too early.  'Here, this is Linux.  We've
customised it with our contact details in case you have any problems
or want to find out more.  We've added some extra help files, just in
case, and a few of our favourite programs.'   One step at a time.

Adam