[Sussex] The gimp and associated problems (under Kubuntu 6.06)

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Aug 6 19:25:22 UTC 2006

John

On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 12:27 +0100, John D. wrote:
> Trying to learn how to use the gimp properly (it's not very intuitive is it!).
>
> So, I want to install some plugins for additional functionality, and have been
> to the gimp registry to get as many plugins as are available for the gimp 2.2
> that is installed by the Kubuntu.
>
> Now, if the plugin is a script (with .scm file extension) I just copy it to
> the scripts folder in my gimp profile - no problem. Likewise if the script is
> perl or python (they go in the plugins folder).
>
> My problem seems to be that I need to get the "gimptool". As the book
> explains, it sometimes comes as a stand alone package, sometimes it's part of
> the development package(s).
>
> So if I try to libgimp2.0-dev, I'm getting this lot as a reply
>
> "me at mypc:~$ sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

I checked on my Debian "sid" system and that installed no problem, see
below.  I also tried it on file save that is running "sarge" and it
would have worked there too if I had let it.

It might be that you have broken depenances in the /etc/apt/sources.list
file.  If you've added other archives to install software not available
in standard Kubuntu.  I suggest you strip the file back to just the
supported archives and then do:

   apt-get update
   apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev

Steve

Log of installation:
-------------------

# apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
  libgimp2.0-doc
  libgimp2.0-dev
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 119kB of archives.
After unpacking 987kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 ftp://mirror sid/main libgimp2.0-dev 2.2.12-1 [119kB]
Fetched 119kB in 0s (257kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libgimp2.0-dev.
(Reading database ... 112064 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgimp2.0-dev
(from .../libgimp2.0-dev_2.2.12-1_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up libgimp2.0-dev (2.2.12-1) ...