[Sussex] Microsoft Windows minimum system's

Colin Pickard thedruid at thedruid.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 11:37:47 UTC 2006

On 8/7/06, linux at oneandoneis2.org <linux at oneandoneis2.org> wrote:
> The only Ubuntu installation I've timed so far was one that came free
> with a magazine and installed Ubuntu plus the KDE & XFCE packages,
> without a network connection. That took half an hour - I believe a
> normal Ubuntu install without the extra packages & without the delay
> while it tried to establish a network connection would take me around
> 20 minutes, but I haven't timed it yet. .

I've installed both 5.10 and 6.06 onto some fairly old hardware, and
I've yet to spend more than 30-40 minutes waiting for an install.

The performance of 6.06 on older hardware is very good.  Out of the
box it is very usable, but for best results you need to take a couple
of minutes to tweak it for your hardware.  There's a script floating
around on the web somewhere called 'faster-dapper.sh' which I would
recommend a glance at.  Aside from that, I have done nothing more to
an install I use all the time, on a 400Mhz P2 with 256mb RAM.  It
takes around 3.5 secs to start firefox, and around 7 secs for
OpenOffice, but once started, they are very snappy.