[Sussex] gtkpod doesn't like my mp3's

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue Aug 8 21:05:21 UTC 2006

Hi Paul

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:43:13PM +0100, Paul Howard wrote:
> I have started downloading podcasts using ipodder and for some reason some
> of the mp3's it downloads don't have the standard .mp3 file extension. they
> end up with a .mp3?podcast extension.
>
> This only happens to some podcasts. one example is the lugradio one. they
> play fine on the PC but gtkpod doesn't like them and wont copy them to my
> ipod. Once I rename the file to a standard .mp3 it works fine. Is this usual
> or do I have something set wrong somewhere?

Yeah, its very irritating... it seems to be down to the fact that the
RSS feed that lugradio publishes has this as the enclosure:-

<enclosure
url="http://audio.lugradio.org/season3/ep24/lugradio-s03e24-220706-high.mp3?podcast"
type="audio/mpeg" length="370" />

which is annoying... don't know why they've done it like that... I've
been toying with the idea of implementing some kind of proxy feed, which
does some cleanup of the rss, but don't know if its worth the head
scratching :-)

Been playing around with Listen, btw.  Its very nice... has a few rough
edges but all in all is great.

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.