[Sussex] Firewall appliance recomendations

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Aug 11 10:04:37 UTC 2006

Ronan

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 10:44 +0100, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:05:39AM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> <snip> I'll need to get an ADSL modem (looking at a
> Linksys ADSL2MUE) to bridge the ADSL line to ethernet.  I'll need to do
> PPPoE from the firewall to the modem which hopefully should be straightforward.

Why PPPoE from the firewall to the modem?  From a quick look at the spec
the model has a RJ45 port out the back (as well as the RJ11).  It's web
configurable so you should just be able to run it in a small network.
Assuming that the Linksys modem can't do NAT as it is not a firewall you
can do the NATing on the firewall and the modem will think there is only
one machine (your firewall) that it is talking to.

           +-------+                  +----------+
 --- RJ11 -+ Modem +------ RJ45 ------+ Firewall +--- RJ45 to LAN
           +-------+                  +----------+
     Public   192.168.1.1/24   192.168.1.2/24   192.168.2.1/24
       IP
      Addr

> Just been looking at Voyage Linux which is interesting - debian sarge
> based distribution for WRAP/soekris devices that can run off a CF card.
> Looks like just the job.
>
> At the moment I have a little toshiba laptop with IPcop on it and an
> ADSL speedtouch USB modem, which works well, but takes up a good bit of
> room.

If you went for the Soekris net4801 that has a USB slot in in (the
net4501 does not) you wouldn't have to replace you speedtouch.  In fact
with the 2.5inch converter kit you could just configure the laptop for a
serial console, pull the laptop disk and plug it into the net4801 and
go.