[Sussex] Firewall appliance recomendations

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 11 22:21:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:37:01AM +0100, John Crowhurst wrote:
> >From what I remember about SBC computers are that they tend to be
> expensive and underpowered for what you get.
>
> If you compare the system above with its 486 processor with the cheapest
> Mini-ITX motherboard (EPIA 533MHz with PCI slot) for £59+VAT.

mini-itx is a pc in a little box, none of their motherboards support
BIOS serial redirection, it's also hassle to get 3 or more
ethernets.  That is why I chose Soekris for a firewall.

Of course it is not suitable for any task that needs decent amounts
of CPU, like multimedia devices.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB