[Sussex] Moot/Linux CD thoughts

Al Bennett al at plasticfish.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 22:40:05 UTC 2006

Evening all

>> Either DemoRecorder or xvidcap get my vote. Xvidcap is neat because you
>> can
>> record any window direct to mpeg video.

I'm not sure if this has all been sorted now (in which case this is a bit
moot) but I happened across this project just now:

http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/

>From the About page: "recordMyDesktop is a desktop session recorder that
attempts a somewhat different approach over the subject of screencasting,
than the one taken by similar projects.
More specifically, there is no need of a VNC server or anything similar Thus
the name recordMyDesktop, since it is your current desktop session that is
recorded This is achieved with the help of libXdamage.
(snip)
recordMyDesktop offers also the ability to record audio, along with video,
without the need of any later proccesing or mixing."

It produces Theora/Vorbis Ogg files so surely that would be playable on a
[Slug|Kn]oppix using a default video player (VLC if that's included?).

Hope the Knoppix respinning goes well/did go well, would have been there if
I hadn't been here!

Al