[Sussex] Problem starting mysql server daemon

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Tue Aug 22 20:48:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, August 22, 2006 21:40, Bob Williams wrote:
> I've installed mysql server and client from the SuSE 10.1 installation
> repository using YaST. The mysqld daemon doesn't appear to be running,
> and the following command seems to stop it as soon as it starts.
>
> bob at linux-bhf:/usr/bin> sudo mysqld_safe
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
> STOPPING server from pid file /var/lib/mysql/linux-bhf.site.pid
> 060822 21:13:02  mysqld ended
>
> I've tried reading the Reference manual at www.mysql.com but can't find
> what I'm looking for.

Check the logfile to see what is going on (its probably in /var/lib/mysql
as machinename.err).

You may find you have the wrong permissions set on one of the directories
(perhaps the mysql user cannot read or write)

You may find that mysql is missing the basic mysql databases (such as
host.frm) and you need to run the script to create them.
(mysql_install_db)

--
John