[Sussex] Problem starting mysql server daemon

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Wed Aug 23 20:08:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, August 23, 2006 20:38, Bob Williams wrote:
> Many thanks John. I was trying to get things started as root, initially,
> so permissions shouldn't have been an issue. I tried mysql_install_db,
> but the same problems remained.

Actually, mysql runs as a seperate user. You start it as root but it then
drops to using the user mysql. If its files are owned by root, it can't
work with them as the user mysql, so it chokes and dies. To fix this
change the ownership to mysql:

chown mysql -R /var/lib/mysql /var/run/mysql

This recursively sets the owner of the database files to mysql and sets
the run files to mysql also. Start mysql and it should function fine now.

--
John