[Sussex] Additional "storage" ?

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Aug 27 14:06:32 UTC 2006

On Sunday 27 August 2006 12:02, John Crowhurst wrote:
> On Sun, August 27, 2006 09:27, John D. wrote:
> > I suspect that the best way is going to be the use of an external hard
> > drive.
> > Now my system is still using USB 1.1 so I won't benefit from any bonus
> > that
> > USB 2.0 might provide.
>
> This would be painful, better to use an ethernet solution.
>
> An external case with USB2 and LAN connections costs around £50 from
> worldspan (www.span.com), which will take any IDE (PATA) drive.
Now that looks like an even better idea John. As I already mentioned, I prefer
ethernet solutions (Ha! I've even managed to get a Photo printer that
supports it - but setting it up is a different matter :-P).

I think that I'll go with Dave Chapmans suggestions below, that way if it
doesn't work out, I can then hit spans website and get one of the external
cases - £50.53 looks very good. The nearest I could find on the scan site was
something like this
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=273369 though the
additional cost might be worth it as I could put 2 hard drives in it and run
it in some sort of RAID "thing".

Choices, choices! :D

On Sunday 27 August 2006 13:36, Dave Chapman wrote:

> > > This would be the more expensive option but you can add more storage
> > > and put it just about anywhere you like.
> >
> > That makes sense. Limited space etc, as you know.
>
> I can give you a small desktop computer with Freenas installed.
> Just add a hard drive for storage.
>
> http://www.freenas.org/
Yes please Dave, that would/should give me as many options as I can "shake a
hairy stick at".

I'll have to liaise to sort it out i.e. when are you next, not working (or is
next weekend a better idea, if so, what time too meet up at BCF?)

regards

John D.