[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

linux at oneandoneis2.org linux at oneandoneis2.org
Fri Dec 1 16:12:45 UTC 2006

Quoting Geoff Teale <gteale at cmedresearch.com>:

> Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that one was more arcane than the other.
> They're both oddities to most users raised on notepad.  My personal
> feeling is that emacs is slightly more intuitive to new users than vi
> (but I recognise that might be a minority view).

You could well be right (I remember my early *nix days, I had to kill
the terminal to get out of vi) but I came to prefer vi because it's
more consistent with other applications: if you're comfortable with
command-line tools, you'll probably find vi very familiar (and vice
versa)

If you know how to search for text in "less", or how to do a "find &
replace" with "sed", then you know how to do the same in vi. You don't
have to learn different methods for the different applications.

But I suppose in these days of Gnome & KDE, it makes less difference
that it used to because many people don't use the command line at all.
. .

Dominic