[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Dec 2 10:03:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 08:37:03AM +0000, Geoff Teale wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
> >But vim does all those things also.
> >
> Yes (or at least those things named) .  However I imagine it's more
> likely that Nic knows how to do them in emacs and not in vi or vim.

My point is not that he should use vim, my point is that doing
region cut/paste and advanced search/replace is not a reason to
require emacs.  I think in the majority of cases the actual reason
to require emacs is because you prefer it.

I don't care what anyone uses, it's just funny when devotees of one
camp or another come up with these requirements; most of the time
the same features are available elsewhere and it still boils down to
preference.

> Familiarity is a major factor for those kinds of things - trying to
> convince a devotee of either camp that the other is better is generally
> a pointless task.

Which is exactly my point so no need to try and find killer
features.

> There are also a whole class of complex operations
> that are technically possible in vim but are much easier to do in emacs
> because emacs is a full programmable environment , a LISP VM if you
> will.  I'm equally sure there are many things that are easier in vi(m).

vim has language bindings for at least perl, python and ruby.  I've
never found need to use them directly so have no idea how they stack
up against emacs's LISP, but I don't think it matters.

Andy