[Sussex] Re: Doing more for the young

john john_gregory at onetel.com
Mon Dec 11 10:21:41 UTC 2006

> Games, and inexpensive CAD software. As good as some of the Linux
> efforts are, such as Unreal Tournament server, the base of good
> applications isn't there yet. Have you ever tried to replace Autocad,
> or PCB design software with Linux tools? The gap in usability is
> noticeable and enough to discourage switchovers.

First CAD.

As an engineer I have been using CAD for about 20 years.  I have tried
many different flavours, free and proprietary but in the end have always
come back to my old AutoCAD because of compatibility problems with
existing drawings, other users and print bureaux for large drawings.

5 years ago I discovered Intellicad which was totally compatible clone
of AutoCAD for Windows.  This ultimately became BricsCad and there is a
Linux version which costs about a tenth of the price of AutoCAD.  As far
as I am aware it is only sold as a .rpm package for SuSe.  I bought a
copy and now use nothing else. Having now abandoned SuSe for SimplyMepis
6.0, I converted the rpm with "alien" and reinstalled it without a
hitch.  I know that it is proprietary software and therefore
unacceptable to the purists, but  the price is reasonable and it is as
far as I can tell totally compatible with AutoCAD which is essential
where drawings are transferred electronically between various project
sections.

Now Games

March 2006,Issue 64 of Linux Magazine had a cover DVD with a distro
called Extreme Gaming.  Has anyone in the LUG tried it?  It is a more or
less anglicised version of JuegaLinEx which is special games version of
GNU/LinEx and designed to encourage the take up of Linux on home
computers. GNU/LinEx was commissioned by the government of Extremadura
in Spain. It is Debian based and designed to be simple enough for non
tech users but, at the same time, versatile enough for most users.  A
good positive government initiative.

I hve installed it but my laptop, for some reason, does not like that
version of Debian with a 2.6.7 kernel and I have problems with the
mouse.  I get round this by unplugging it at the login screen followed
by <CTRL>< ALT>< BSP> and then reconnecting it.

I have a spare copy of the mag and the DVD if anyone would like it.

John Gregory