[Sussex] Re: Sussex Digest, Vol 169, Issue 2

john john_gregory at onetel.com
Tue Dec 12 16:11:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:42:35PM -0000, angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk
wrote:
>> A friend of mine has an AMD 64 box and I have installed ubuntu 6.10 for
>> AMD64 on it.  He intends to connect to Broadband via a Speedtouch 330
>> usb ADSL Modem.  I downloaded the drivers for it from the Ubuntu site,
>> but they wont run/install.  Could it be that I have to recompile the
>> source for these, because the binaries are compiled for 32bit?
>>

> I don't know what drivers you have but the speedtch driver from the
> kernel source works fine for me as long as you put the firmware in
> /lib/firmware.  There are various HOWTOs about this.
>
> Try http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/ubuntu/index.html
>
> Simon.

Make sure that you are using the right driver as there are 3 or 4
different versions.  If in doubt get it off the Windows installation
disc that came with the modem. You may need a little program to split
the driver file into its 2 parts. Its called firmware extractor.  There
is a link to this on :

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/suse/index.html  if its not on ~/ubuntu/~

I have used it with Ubuntu based SimplyMepis and had no problems.

John (Gregory)