[Sussex] Mixing SCSI and SATA drives

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 22:25:33 UTC 2006

Brendan Whelan wrote:
> I have several Dell servers each with a SCSI drive but they are also
> cabled to take a SATA drive. I was thinking of using a SATA drive for
> backup purposes. Has anyone any experience of mixing these types of
> drive and are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?
>
> Thanks, Brendan

I've done similar mixes of SATA, IDE, SCSI, etc., etc. in legacy
systems. Beware of the BIOS selecting SCSI or SATA first, and beware of
the re-ordering of reported devices on the "SCSI" chain while adding or
disabling SATA drives. Using partition labels and LVM instead of
hard-coding your mountpoints as /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb2, etc. can be vrey
helpful.