[Sussex] Linux versus Windows simplified

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sat Dec 23 01:17:29 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I thought you may find this interesting - it is a reply I made to a
member on another computer discussion group who is looking forward to
Windows Vista with awestruck wonder - whilst at the same time looking
around for a cracked version so that he doesn't have to pay for it.

Here is my reply:
=====
I have to say that I gave up on Windows several years ago.

I find it increasingly difficult to think of reasons to use Windows over
Linux. Most Linux distros are easy to install these days & do most
things as well as, or better than Windows.

The licencing agreement on Linux is easier to understand & better suited
to the real world of the home user:

If you like it, share it.

If something doesn't work & you can fix it, share the fix.

If you can't fix it yourself, share the problem & someone else will fix
it & share it.

If it is a serious problem, share it & a security fix will usually be
available in one to three days.

The licencing agreement for Windows is:

If you like it, we don't care because we've got your money; but we do
care if you share it because that stops people giving us their money. If
you do this, we may send horrible people called "Big Ron" to your house
to break things & then take more of your money to make up for the other
people's money we didn't get.

If something doesn't work & you can fix it, tough - we won't let you see
the code.

If you can't fix it yourself (& you can't anyway - we won't let you),
share the problem with Microsoft who may include a fix in the next
version of Windows (4 to 5 years away), or in a service pack sometime in
the next six months if the problem could be embarrassing to Microsoft &
give people the slightest thought that they may not want to give us
their money because of this problem. However, we may get off our arses &
rush something out in a month or so if people actually start laughing at
Microsoft & saying horrible things about us & Bill Gates's sweaters.
=====

Gavin.