[Sussex] Sendmail to Exim routing

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Dec 30 07:41:16 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 03:08:14AM -0000, brougham Baker wrote:
> The VPS I'm looking at will probably be running Debian and Exim- I've never
> used Exim before. I am going to set this box as the highest priority MX so
> that most legitimate mail will be sent there. I need to get Exim to forwards
> everything it sees to another lower priority box.

The setup you are referring to is in Debian+Exim terms called a
hubbed host: all mail for example.org goes to MX for example.org
then MX has a config file telling it where to relay the mail on to.

It is configured by putting something like this into the file
/etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts:

example.org:    some.server.example.com

which tells the MX to relay on all mail for example.org on to the
server some.server.example.com.

Bear in mind that this is a style of config unique to Debian's Exim
install; Exim is incredibly flexible and can be made to do pretty
much anything with the mail; Debian has a pre-defined router called
hubbed_hosts that uses that config file.  If not using Debian then
similar could be configured from scratch.

If using split config then you can find this router at
/etc/exim4/conf.d/router/150_exim4-config_hubbed_hosts should you
want to look and see how it works.

> I found this for Sendmail- in the mailertable put
> example.org esmtp:[mail.example.org]
> .example.org esmtp:[mail.example.org]
>
> I asked on another list and was told to google for smarthosting? Is this the
> same thing?

No.  Smarthosting is where all outbound mail goes through a host.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB